About This Blog

This blog was originally started as a thread on the forum pages of an animal rescue site. Now it's here!

The articles you find in here are purely for entertainment (yours and mine) and (with one or two exceptions) are all tongue-in-cheek chronicles of the World (my bit, anyway) as I see it.
No disrespect is intended towards anyone unless I make a mistake and make it too obvious.

I hope you enjoy my offerings. Feedback and comments of any kind are welcome.


Monday 26 July 2010

BP and WMD

American senators and journalists seem to have generated a lot of anti-British feelings with their criticism of BP with regards to the environmental disaster caused by the BP rig explosion and for the alleged lobbying on behalf of the Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset Al Megrahi in return for oil rights. 


They may well be correct in both cases ... I don't know.


I can't help wondering though; what would have happened if they had been just half as passionate and determined in trying to put George W. Bush and Tony Blair onto the "naughty step" for their lie-based (WMD) invasion of Iraq?


They caused God knows how many thousands of deaths, destroyed the country's infrastructure and brought it's economy (what the hell? It wasn't that great anyway) crashing to the ground and yet they found no nasty weapons that would have melted us all in our beds.  


It was all because Saddam Hussein wouldn't play ball and do as he was told ... oh, and probably for oil too!


Saddam paid the ultimate price by going to the highest "naughty step" of all for the atrocities he was responsible for.


BP boss Tony Hayward, who on the whole has handled the actual oil-spill clean-up quite well, has had a disastrous couple of months as far a his PR goes.  He has been accused of either putting his foot in his mouth whenever it opens (agreed) or of engaging in inappropriate activities when he should "doing something" about the spill.  


Whereas GW Bush and Tony Blair probably had a host of minions lined up ready to carry the can for the WMD scam, Mr.Hayward is being hung out to dry because of a political / journalistic witch hunt.  I doubt whether any American run inquiry will turn up anything other than BP is GUILTY!!! 


If I was a cynical person, I would say the the senator's must be up for  re-election, the journalist's reader / viewer figures were down and those people who directly suffered the effects of the oil slick are already counting their six or seven figure compensation.  


But I'm not ... so I won't say that.


This isn't meant as a political or anti-American rant ... It's an anti-senator / anti-journalist rant so don't get on your high horses and give me your opinions.


*****


Just found out those senators ARE up for re-election in at the end of the year, so that explains their "resolve" and anti-BP rhetoric.

*****

1 comment:

  1. Symdaddy,

    These "senators" are always up for re-election. I agree with you about BP and Tony Hayward (American politicians are always looking for someONE to blame), even though they heard testimony that the company that was overseeing the rig was cited numerous times for violations (including turning off warning alarms so people would not be woken up at night!!!).

    I don't know what the news is like over there, but American news is very selective. I would rather watch a "fake news show" (The Daily Show) than regular national news. I can honestly say that I have learned more from this show than the so called broadcast national news shows.

    We also like BBC News (for a world view - as we hardly get anything but stories from here).

    I am catching up with you blog and am quite enjoying it. I found you through Pearl's blog. As an animal lover people like you hold a special place in my heart.

    And you poems have touched me more than you know. We had to recently put our beloved cat down. I miss her so. So some of your poems have brought tears to my eyes.

    Well, I have taken up too much of your time. I'll keep reading as long as you keep writing.

    ReplyDelete

Any and all comments are welcome ...